Monday 3 August 2015

A MONTH WITHOUT TV AND INTERNET


I have had no internet or TV for over a month. The reason for this is pretty straightforward, I moved house and then had problem after problem getting my broadband set up. 
In my 34 days without internet (yes I kept count) I came to realise how much my life revolves around the internet. I pretty much use it for everything. Throughout uni I haven't had a TV, so I've relied on my laptop and online catch up services to keep up to date with programmes. Obviously, without internet I haven't been able to do this and instead have been getting reaquainted with my very limited and frankly shoddy DVD collection.

A lack of TV quite clearly isn't the end of the world but the lack of internet has made other parts of my life more difficult. One of my jobs involves planning activity sessions and I rely on the internet a lot for this; from finding resources, downloading music, and contacting colleagues. I do all my planning at home and then email it to myself at work, which is difficult to do when you have no internet. Last month I graduated and was trying to order tickets and sort out my gown, as well as sort out my masters application, again tricky when everything is online and you have no internet. On top of that the whole moving house process is complicated by having no internet access as so many things, such as setting up bills, council tax, banking, and even creating a new broadband account, all require you to use the internet. All of this meant that over the last month I have spent a lot of time trailing into town and hunkering down in coffee shops just so I could abuse their free wifi policy and try to keep my life in order. 

As well as effecting my work life, the lack of internet also meant that I could no longer spend my evenings scrolling through tumblr or watching everything and anything on iplayer and so I had to find other ways to fill my time.

Firstly, and this came as a surprise to me, I have become a Radio 4 listener. I know, I worry about me too, but it turns out I love a good radio play. Although I have learnt not to listen to it all day, especially if the day in question is the day the budget is released, because listening to that much news will send you spiraling into a pit of grouchiness that can only be lifted when you finally (and reluctantly) take your mother's advice and go for a walk in the park and instantly feel much better. How is it that woman is right about everything?

The lack of internet and TV also meant I had to crack on with all my unpacking as I had no way of procrastinating. This was a definite bonus as nobody wants to still be unpacking over a month after they've moved in. Similarly, I have been so on top of the washing up, its like I've become a whole new person.


I've also developed a much better sleeping pattern. I've been going to bed at a reasonable time because I haven't been able to accidentally stay up until gone two because I've been scrolling through Tumblr. Earlier nights means earlier mornings and I being really getting up earlier. I feel like I have so much more of the day to make use of. Its been lovely.

The main things I've gained from not having any internet is the time to fall back in love with reading again. Throughout uni, and despite (or possibly because of) doing a literature degree, I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with reading, often erring on the edge of a hate/hate relationship, purely because I dislike the pressure of having to read a specific text by a specific date. I much prefer just being able to pick something up and read it in my own time, which is why the past few weeks have been so good. I have really been enjoying spending my evenings snuggled up on the sofa with a good book and in the past three weeks I've read about ten books, which means I'm almost back on track with my Goodreads challenge. I say almost, I'm still seven books behind but it's better than I was doing! (Also if you want to be my Goodreads friends click here). I'm so happy that I've got back into the swing of reading because it's something I used to love doing and recently I just haven't been able to get any enjoyment from it so its so nice to be able to again.

I am now back living in the 21st century and do now have internet at home (which means I can upload this from the comfort of my sofa, instead of having to trek into town), and although I did spend my first wifi filled evening trawling through social media and disappearing down a tumblr black hole (it happens to the best of us) I'm going to try to keep a cap on my internet time and try to keep my reading and my lovely new sleep-pattern going, so wish me luck with that!




No comments:

Post a Comment